Thursday, May 5, 2011

En guarde

Intense laughter, especially when shared with others, releases the bad juju.

Frazer and Porter have been taking fencing at Richmond Fencing Club the last 8 weeks.  www.richmondfencingclub.com

This opportunity was a natural fit for Frazer who has had an unusual fascination with swords for years.  He runs around the yard with the wooden sword Be made him slaying imaginary dragons and evil villains.

Yesterday, as the culmination of the first session, the kids got to fence with the silver lame which noted the kids scores.

If you are feeling a bit lowly, this would be the place to go.

Whowee!

All of us went and my father.  I have no ideas how the photos will develop (yes film folks) but from the laughter I doubt Houlder or I took I steady shot.

Porter "en guarded" and "saluted" and "lunged" and whatever else, and we cracked up.  He was great!  The intensity with which he fenced and his success had Dell, Houlder, Will and I laughing with abandon.  Truly.  That shaking your whole body so that sound does not come out.  As I turned away from the duel (match -- I don't know what you call it), I looked at my family:  Frazer waited for his turn; Houlder moved to to get a better shot of Porter huge shoulders shuddering with laughter;  Dell rolled on the floor trying to smoother his hysteria; William leaned against the wall chortling and filming with the his iphone shaking.

Frazer's turn came and all the years of running around the yard came to fruition in his trouncing of the other kid.  Sorry but not really.  He won.  We still laughed but now we looked at each other proud of Frazer and for Frazer.  Dell said, "I bet Be never thought that those swords would be so helpful."

I doubt he did but I am glad they were.

The ultimate show down of man o man was Porter verses Frazer. In unsanctioned and unofficial contests, Porter typically wins.  Today we learned that Porter can be a sport because Frazer ruled the arena!  We were all surprised that he out parried Porter.  He lunged and stabbed and won, point after point.  It was great.  Although they did share a Pirates of the Carribean moment just crossing foils with each other without any one daring to strike out but moved up and down the field clanging away.  The coach interrupted while the whole place laughed at the faux movie moment.  During the handshake and salute to end the match, Porter smiled even though he lost.  Porter was not too bummed when the victor puts his arm around him and said, "Good job, Porty.  You had some nice parries."

We have found Fraz's thing.

Today was more than a contest and display of skill.  For this briefest of moments we had an opportunity to be together without the unknown hanging over us.  We laughed, we celebrated, we were together.  It was beautiful.

Thank you my fencers for giving us the gift of joy.

Fleeting, it happened.

We shall hold it.

Amen.

Here is a link to the video of Frazer.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=shudg11477#p/a/u/0/gDiXFIVHzVg

1 comment:

  1. Susie, I'm lurking around your blog, and finally have to tell you how much I appreciate your writing. I am there in this one, feeling complete joy for you and your family, and cracking up and tearing up, too. Yay for fencing and beautiful family moments. You are an inspiration. Love, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete