Monday, May 16, 2011

Diagnostic Dilemma

One of the most coachable, teachable, parentable qualities of Houlder is his intrinsic gift of using a struggle or "failure" as an opportunity to improve and refine and relearn.  His internal sense of himself is assured and pleasant.  He enjoys taking the time to figure out the best solution.  He is not deterred if the immediate answer is not desirable.

He has tenacity and inventiveness.

He remains resolute that we will find the explanation.
He maintains this belief despite our unfruitful week in the hospital.

We left with nada.

Nothing.

Zero.

Zip.

It was a diappointing expereince on many levels.  At one point a doctor asked Houlder what he wanted out of his life.  Didn't he want to just get up and move on?

Again, my child's grace is greater than mine.  The retorts that sprang to my mind are not so polite, but he told the inquiring mind, "Of course, when I heal I will finish 9th grade, finish high school, go to college where I want to swim and do something after I graduate." 


His answer was not satisfying to the questioner.

I am often proud of Houlder, but it is not because I have taught him these skills.  His own barometer is a great guide.  Trust me, if it were more in our control, William and I would have duplicated the process. 

And, in the same manner, we cannot force curiosity in a system or process that either does not not have the time for it or reward it.

MCV ran out of options and ways to explore Houlder's situation.  We met nice doctors.  We met doctors who care.  We had some terrific nurses.  At a meeting in which we asked all the players to come to the table, in walks two parent /patient advocates without us asking them to join in -- the kindergarten mom and a SRA dad. 

But, we have nothing.

I don't want to be mad.  I am trying to be like my kid and receive the blow and collect the pieces and move on.  I am finding ways to reduce or disarm Houlder's pain.

Fortunately, that appointment at UVA has come through.  We head there today.  UVA has a different approach to headaches like Houlder's as a disease and studies them while in the mri -- I think it is a functional mri but I am not sure. 

He has an appointment in Bethesda in 10 days with at the Greater Washington Headache Clinic.  This doctor looks at the headache being triggered by something else which needs to be uncovered.

One of the doctors posted Houlder's case on a listserv.  A doctor from the Mayo clinic seems to have a great deal of experience with this kind of situation.  So, I am hoping UVA and Bethesda pan out, but the land of 10,000 Lakes may be roll into view in the future.

I am not usually as tenacious as Houlder but finding what is causing this horrific pain rouses in me a need to uncover and discern what it could be.  We will keep looking and searching and visiting people until we can stop the pain. 

2 comments:

  1. Good luck w/UVA today. Question and follow-up comment by doctor absurd. What type of an answer was he looking for? At least one of the doctors showed something by posting Houlder's case, which in turn has generated a response from Mayo. However, I confess I am surprised MCV would not volunteer its collective muscle and if nothing else get you into another clinic at Hopkins or Children's, etc., which can do some of the tests the MCV doctors frankly acknowledged MCV could not do. I find that a really disappointing commentary as to the MCV mentality here. As you have noted, quite different from that involving Frazer's heart operation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear Susie, I'm not sure what kind of help I can offer other than empathy for your situation. I have some idea what it is like to see your child suffer without having any idea how to heal the pain. Layla's skin condition was so bad at times that she couldn't move and I had to carry her from her bed to the bathroom and then downstairs where she stayed on the couch all day b/c her entire body was in so much pain. Almost her entire body was one big open wound...she barely went outside last summer b/c her skin would literally fall off. She is better now, thank goodness for a doctor at MCV. My heart goes out to you and to Houlder. Keep having faith that the diagnosis will come. I have deep affection for you Susie and I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Sending you SO much Love, Jennifer Thakkar

    ReplyDelete