Friday, May 14, 2010

Sick Day

When I choose to keep another child home from school because he is not feeling well, home is a treat and haven from the classroom.  OF course homework looms, but for those feeling fairly lousy sleep and rest are a treat.  A week of Frazer feeling rotten but not horrible has netted half-hearted school.  Reading several chapters a day to him from Curse of the Titan (Riordan), drill deck a few times, some modest attempts of subtraction and math review.  No car has been no Story of the World.

Yet, the best teachable moments have existed in a 500 piece Ravensburg horse puzzle.  Spatial work is definitely something that needs practice.  Puzzles are great for that work;  determination on what is unfolding must occur.  Mom must be patient while the picture unfolds itself.

The first lesson came in the 500 piece part of puzzle.  Frazer wanted to explore how many 50's were in 500.  We worked it on the kitchen wipe board.  I think he  is still grappling with it.  He understands two 50's in 100.  He understands five 100's in 500.  I showed how that can multiply.  His face easily lets me know when he may not have the concept but he has taken in all he could.  I am curious how we can revisit this.  I have thought of having him estimate how many pieces are still in the box and how already placed. 



Day one.  The puzzle was also something Frazer could do while I took Houlder to the dermatologist to have the margins removed form the mole.  He had my cell and William was going to be home in one hour.  At 10.5 it would be nice to be able to leave him to work on something while I run an errand.  I don't want to force bravery but nurture independence.  We have tried this out briefly when I run to pick up or drop off Porter which is only 20 minutes.  I think part of the challenge comes in him liking being with me.  The treat is mine that he feels like that because I know it does  not last.  Yet, there is a pride that comes from him doing something on his own.  He managed great and was less nervous.  More like, "Bye Mom!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment