Sunday, January 15, 2012

skip the light fandango


 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJIVz9nYx7I

Annie Lennox always struck me as a together woman.  Annie probably would not have tripped three steps from the bottom down her own front stoop on a sunny Sunday afternoon 7 weeks ago. 

Eight plates and a screw.  Sounds like a drink.

Feeling thirsty?  Apparently I was parched.

A swift ambulance ride with such a nice paramedic who was concerned about gently taking off my Danskos.  When I told him he could cut them off, he balked as he knew they were expensive.  Haha.  Got love that.

The last 7 weeks have been a blur.  It took me about two weeks to realize how serious this leg break was.  William conveniently kept the meds coming quite regularly to keep me from trying to get up.  Lacey, my mother-in-law, managed the chaos of four kids, birthday parties, meals which were delivered, carpools, playdates, and exams.  A friend introduced me to Pinterest.com and between Houzz.com and Ziplist.com, I redecorated, renovated, bought presents, made presents, made meals by clicking on a photo icon and creating little fantasy notebooks of what my life would be like if money were no object and time were not an issue and I did not have a bum leg.  It was entertaining.  I found Hanging with Friends and had a great time getting my butt whooped around the globe.  We managed Christmas, said adios to 2011 and visited friends with NYC and New Zealand.

I griped and tried to find the the lesson or the moral, but Aesop escaped me.    William again shone brightly as Daddy superstar.  As Porter told one of our guests, "When Mommy started the leg drugs, Daddy became in charge."  Go ahead and laugh.  We did.  Will rocked and continues to be amazing.

I imagine the lesson was that we need each as we walk this earth.  Kindness matters.  Friends matter.  Calling matters.  Note cards still matter.  Facebook matters.  Family matters.  In the past I had tried to be a person who recognized when someone might need a hand or a meal or a call.  This year I really was not able to do that but generosity only works when someone receives with grace.  Grace -- we began the year and ended learning grace by receiving so many thougthful meals and words.  We remain in awe of others' capacity to reach out and help.  In awe and full of gratitude.

Thank you.
  



No comments:

Post a Comment