Tuesday, March 29, 2011

sliced

I have often wondered what goes on in the head of an adolescent male.  I had the distinct privilege of being one four girls in a previously all boys boarding school.  Now fully coed and well functioning, when five of us entered in 4th form (10th grade), I can tell you that the boys were no more certain of us than we were of them.  I don't think the teachers were any more confident.

When I had a fourth son, I joked that God must be trying to get me to figure out something about the male brain.

Yet, after intense study and chronic inundation I have few clues.

That's kind of what it is like looking at this slice of Houlder's most recent MRI.  Unclear.

In short, the pituitary tumor that the lovely MCV technician informed us about does not in fact exist.  Houlder apparently has preternaturally large pituitary glands.  To fit the rest of his body I imagine.

So, yipee!  No tumor.

The neuro-surgeon was nice.  She explained what she saw that led her to think he may have a growth.  She answered all questions pertaining to any growth or her reasoning.  However, she was explicit in what she would not answer.  I admired how she was able to define the parameters of her job and stick with only what she was able to offer services, "If I cannot cut it out, I don't treat it."  Okay, good to know.

Kind of wish the docs had lunch together and maybe shared thoughts.  Houlder and I keep trudging to these appointments and these super smart docs sort of pass the ball to the next player without knowing if s/he is open for a pass.  It is tricky.  Each one asks great questions and tries to uncover details.  But, culling it all together is just his mother who dropped chemistry my second semester of high school because I had enough science credits to graduate, took two languages, and was horrible chemistry student.

This neuro-surgeon did offer us the copies of the recent MRI and noticed he had more lesions than in the first one.  She however recommended we speak with a pediatric neurologist about what they could mean.  I wish I could define my job so well.  Ditto to question about migraine.  Suggested that his symptoms did not match but that she was not qualified to answer.  Okay, but she slice open my kid's brain.  I ma thinking that she is a bit more qualified than a chemistry drop out.

Weird, though, the lesion I mentioned in an early blog that might suggest something else, may have sprouted some buds.  These lesions could be the cause of the headache, blurred vision, dizziness, and exhaustion.  Will post more when I learn more.  At least she was willing to comment on these.  I am grateful.  She was nice and frankly I am relieved for Houlder to not have a tumor.

Houlder had his first acupuncture tonight and he was happy when he met me in the waiting room.  Unfortunately still has headache but maybe tomorrow we will have some relief.

Off to schedule more appointments.

The kid is suitably good.  He is having the spa treatments I dream about: massages, chiropractic adjustments and one of my favs, acupuncture with Keith. 

I see the white dots she pointed out.  Thirty odd years later and so much time with male minds, I still cannot tell diddly about the white spots.  Guess I will learn, at some point.


PS -- Frazer's MRI is April 6th, then more testing on April 15th.  This is for his potential pituitary tumor.  If I could just figure out that damn make brain, maybe I could fix up these sweet boys.  Heart catheterization will be after we deal with the results of those.  

1 comment:

  1. You have SO hit the nail on the head with your phrase, "Kind of wish the docs had lunch together and maybe shared thoughts." I have had this thought many, many times. It seems as if the medical community needs to come up with some pod-type of care, where you can go to one doc who specializes and he works with other docs who have similar but different aspects of the same specialty and they all meet to discuss the one patient and brainstorm.
    That is my dream for medicine. I hope it's coming because I feel like too many people are misdiagnosed or never diagnosed because their moms or family members don't have the experience or knowledge to analyze a doctor's information.
    Good luck to Holder AND Frazer. My thoughts and prayers are with them both and especially with you as you try to unravel these medical mysteries. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete