Thursday, May 22, 2014

New Room

Houlder about 3 months old
Almost 19 years, I had this delicious baby boy.  He rarely cried.  He fooled William and I into believing we were good parents.  We had the touch.  He slept which we somehow believed we made happen.  He sang himself awake in the crib, in another room, while we listened to his tunes.

One of the best gifts of parenting is the dismantling factor of smug righteousness.  Having children who did not follow the scrip or our lead barreled down our pride and produced plentiful humble pie which comes without a direction manual.

Each subsequent child provided glimpses of knowing and unknowing what the heck we were doing.  We reminded ourselves that they were all alive, fed, housed, and clothed.  Our expectations expanded to reality -- not Lifetime movie fluff.  We managed each kid and scrambled.  I went from organized and early to perennially late and scattered.   I came across as flaky to those just meeting me; during the unctuous stage of my life, I would have cared. Now, I just hope my shirt is clean and I have everything I am supposed to have.
Dell about 15 months

Dell about 18 months with Max Bunster
Frazer 2 weeks with Grandpa Sid

With Frazer, there has been mystery, quirkiness and joy.  A much longed for soul after three miscarriages, his dramatic arrival at the beginning of Y2K was chaos.  His family has embraced this chaos, guided it and enjoyed him.  We had no clue, but we had love.

And, often, we worried for him.

Most notably Frazer is petite.  He looks like an 8-9 year old.  That size has allowed us to perhaps ignore things that were beyond quirky.  The past two years his friendships slipped away.  He was enraptured more and more in a world he only he knew.   
Frazer at 5 in preschool

Monday, he handled his inpatient status happily.  He has his own room with bathroom.  As as sibling  who has always shared, this is an improvement of some nature.  When Porter and I left that night after a bedtime reading, we were sad.

Yesterday when Porter and I went to spend time with him, Frazer asked us to go.  He was otherwise engaged alone with his mind and a show.

We left respecting his request. Porter and I both had those achy pits that make you want to barf or cry or zone out.  I am still unfolding my emotions.  Essentially this writing is for me.  I can share some of Frazer and some of what we are learning, but I need a place to put my voice.  To hold my fears and gratitude and I hope some laughter and lightness.
Houlder 10, Porter 7 months


My 25th reunion from college is this weekend.  I opted not to go even though I have spent past ten months thinking about it.  My friends are gathering in one of my most favorite places on earth to celebrate and embrace our youth.  It feels lonely, but this is my choice.  I can't shake off this responsibility.  A babysitter cannot be mom.  Hopefully I will not be asked to leave again.

But if so, I will come back to my room and watch my reunion unfold on Facebook.  I am not sure if that is great thing or something for which I should be embarrassed.  It is honest.



No comments:

Post a Comment